Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Mermaid's Secret" Silk Scarf


Took a little break from my regular painting today and did a two hour silk painting workshop with Olivia Waterman at Avenue West Gallery in Spokane. What fun!! I can see that I'll definitely be doing more of this in the future. We used special inks/dyes on stretched silk scarves. You have to work quickly and you don't have complete control...but that is the fun of it! Here is my practice piece "Mermaid's Secret" There are a couple of turtles in it as well, but it is too long and narrow to photograph well, so I just uploaded a detail shot.

2 comments:

Kay said...

wow I love this! I have always wanted to try this..neat scarf

Melissa Cole said...

Thanks Kay! I really liked it because it moved so quickly and was out of control...but you ended up with all kinds of interesting effects. I am looking forward to doing more of it. You should try it if you get chance...it would work so well with your style.